A common question hear all the time is "what is an egress window" ? Essentially an egress window is a fire escape window for any occupied finished basement in the country. The requirement became part of the International Residential Code in 1997 that all basements require an egress window. From experience throughout the years I have concluded that about 90% of our calls are from customers that are looking to sell or in the middle of selling and find they are in violation. Not installing one will hold up the closing of your home which in some cases can be months which can be a huge burden on both buyer/seller.
Customers always ask what is involved and what is the cost of an egress window. Many different factors play into the cost and installation. On average cost of installing an egress window ranges around 4-6K within reason. Not a bad investment considering the work involved and what you get for it. Just peace in mind is worth it knowing that your loved ones will be protected in case of an emergency.
What are the requirements of an egress window?:
- Minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet
- Minimum net clear opening height of 24"
- Minimum net clear opening width of 20"
- Window well must be 9 square feet
- Maximum 44" sill height from finished floor
- Maximum 44" height from inside window well
- Any heights over 44" require a ladder installed
- Ladders shall be affixed permanently with width of at least 12 inches; shall project at least 3" from wall and ladder treads should not exceed 18" on center
What can determine the cost when installing an egress window?:
- Block wall or poured concrete wall
- Access to the location where window is
- Amount of digging depth
- Removal of excess dirt off of premises
- Finish the interior or not
- Add a Bilco preformed egress window well
- Removal of trees in front of location where window is to be installed
Commonly asked questions:
- How long will it take to install an egress window? Typically 2-5 days
- Will there be any dust during the project? Yes, as with any construction you can expect some dust. We have a system though that keeps dust at nominal levels
- What if there are any gas/water/electrical lines in wall? We will move at an additional cost; unfortunately we cannot determine that until wall has been opened
- Will not having an egress window hold up my closing? Absolutely, if you have a finished basement you need one and 90% of our calls are for this reason
- Will an egress window increase the value of my home? Any upgrade will increase the value. Besides more ventilation and light, you bring your basement to code and also protect your loved ones in case of an emergency
- What kind of window will you be using? We use an Anderson 400 series casement window with a 22" net clear opening
Installing an egress window will also improve light and ventilation for your basement. Basements are always a breeding ground for mold and mildew as they are underground and create moisture. Adding light and ventilation will cut down your chances of toxic mold and mildew forming. Many people add a dehumidifier also to help remove moisture from their basement especially during the hot humid months of summer. Weather you are looking to sell or keep your home, an egress window is a great investment that brings safety and added value to your home!!!
William M. Bateman
Its becoming more common around the country for customers to be installing egress windows in their basements. National code has been in effect for years requiring an egress window for safety measures for you and your family. Most recently in the past few years we have noticed a rise in egress window installations due to the fact that local building departments have been forcing them more and violations are being issued to customers that dont have one. These violations mostly come up when buying/selling a home, finishing basement or refinancing forcing the customer to install one in a timely matter before you can sell or do any other work to your basement.
Why you might need an egress window installed:
- Buying/selling your home
- Finishing your basement
- Need more light and ventilation in your basement
- Safety reasons to protect you and your family
- Peace in mind
Most of customers we experience wait until they are selling their home to install an egress window which holds up the closing process on both ends of the buyer/seller. Once installed every customer realizes the benefits and wishes they had installed one sooner. Its usually a 2-5 installation process that is done 90% from the exterior of your home limiting any distraction to your life and home.
Benefits of adding an egress window:
- Added safety as a fire escape in the time of need
- Better ventilation for your basement
- More added light
- Better access for larger items to enter your basement from outside
- Helps with mold and mildew issues every basement experiences
When buying/selling your home like mentioned before, brings up last minute violations that brings nothing but last minute aggravation. Pre planning your egress window project will eliminate this and save you money without paying for extra violation costs that you local building department may require.
What to expect when installing a window in violation:
- Closing process held up
- Have to issue a building permit
- Some building departments require engineered plans drawn up for basement floor plan
- Extra permit fees
- Electrical inspection
- Proof of insurance from your contractor
- Approval from the board for work to comence in some condo complexes
Egress windows have national code requirements that must be met before and during the installation. Choosing a good contractor that is familiar with these codes is key for an easy and painless installation process. The right equipment is necessary to do the project with the proper machines that will not ruin your property during the process.
What are the national codes for egress windows?
- Window must be minimum of 5.7 square feet
- Window sill height must not exceed 44" max
- Window well must be 9 square feet inside dimensions
- Window well must not exceed 44" without adding a ladder
- Window must have 22" net clearing
WMB Construction has been performing egress window installations for years in the Hudson Valley NY region. Contact today to set up your free estimate and we will come out and evaluate and price your project.
Check out our videos on some of out finished products
If you are looking for an egress window contractor,
you have come to the right spot!!!!!!!
We know all the "in's and outs" when it comes to egress windows!!!!
Working out of Monroe.NY for many years, Bill Bateman has performed hundreds of egress window installations over the years helping protect families from harm in the case of a house fire. National code requires all finished basements to have an egress window as a fire escape to protect your loved ones in time of need. Not only for safety reasons, egress windows add a lot more than that to your basement.
Benefits of adding an Egress Window:
- Peace in mind that your loved ones are protected
- Added light
- More ventilation
- Double pane glass adds more insulation
- Low E glass that protects from UV rays
What are the building codes when installing an egress window?
- Window must be minimum 5.7 sq. ft.
- Window must have a minimum 22" net clear when open
- Inside window sill height must not reach over 44" high
- Window well must be minimum 9 sq. ft. inside measurements
- Window well height must not exceed 44"
- In the case inside/outside window height exceed 44", a ladder must be added
Added an egress window to your home can be both exciting and stressful! Exciting for the people that want one and stressful for the people trying to sell their home and its holding up your closing. Every town is requiring egress windows and we see that 90% of the time it is when the customer is trying to sell and is in violation. The violation has to be corrected and holds up the sale for both buyer and seller. Contact us today for a free estimate if you are interested in an egress window installation!!!!
Here at WMB CONSTRUCTION we pride ourselves in on time quality work here in the Hudson Valley, NY. For all your needs we are here for you! Based out of Monroe, NY; we are your one stop construction company. With that being said, yor home has many needs; roof, siding, kitchen, bathroom, patios, drainage, garage door, finished basement, egress window, anderson windows, pella windows, decks, remodeling, painting, flooring, staining.......etc!
We perform all phases of construction and home remodeling all over Orange County, NY Most of our work is close based due to word of mouth recomendations with repeat customers. We like establishing trust within our customers that lasts a lifetime.
Adding an egress window to your home is an excellent idea, opening up your basement to fresh air and light and most importantly the safety of your family and your pets. Across the country it has become a national code and all homes must pass inspection and have an egress window if your basement is finished.
Requirements for an egress window:
- Window must be 5.7 square feet
- Window must have a clear opening of 20"
- Window must be at least 24" in height
- Window well must be 9 square feet interior dimensions
- Sill height of window from inside floor of basement must not exceed 44"
- Height inside window well must not exceed 44"
- If inside/outside heights exceed 44", a ladder must be installed
- Window must be operatable by hand with no tools
- Bars on the outside of window will not be acceptable
- Garage doors are not an acceptable exit
What are the benefits of adding an egress window?:
- First off, the safety of your family and loved ones
- Better ventilation because we all know basements can be stuffy and moist
- Added natural light which makes for a better and more heathly atmosphere
- If your basement is't finished this is a great way go get material in
- Added value to your home
Here at WMBCONSTRUCTION we specialize in installing egress windows and all windows around the beautiful Hudson Valley in Monroe, NY. We know what your home means to you and mainly the safety of your family. These codes were put in play for a reason and even in our home town of Orange County, NY we have seen how they have helped save lives during a fire and at the same time improve everyday live when there is no tragedy.
Your home is most definetly your biggest investment you have in your life, besides your family that is! With that being said, I'm sure you want to protect it just like you would your family. Your roof is the most important part of your home and without it you would have no protection from the elements of mother nature. A very common saying is "At least I have a roof over my head" and there's a lot of truth to that! So what I'm getting at is that here in the northeast we have some pretty brutal weather, especially in the winter. A good roof is a necessity in these parts!
WMB Construction, located in Monroe, NY specializes in helping homeowners bullet proof their roofs from the harsh weather we experience. A basic roof needs many ailments to make it a quality roof that will stand up and last for years.
What does your roof need?:
- Ice dam installed
- 30 year architectural shingles installed
- Ridge vents
- Soffit vents
- Drip edge
- A reputable roofing contractor to professionally install your new roof
Now, what people dont about their roof will boggle you! We all pay high cost premiums for home insurance. What you don't know is that these companies won't reinburse you if you have a failing roof! It's like having life insurance when you claim you have never smoked and die of lung cancer. Many times insurance companies will call it an act of god!
Be smart in protecting your investment. A poor roof can leave your home worthless and after paying for years, thats bad news to hear! Water damage can do more damage than you can possibly imagine. Most times water damage goes unnoticed for years creating crippling damage to your home, or worse, even your health!
Call today for a free roof estimate!
orange county ny,
Composite Decking Orange County NY,
When you think of the word basement it may come to mind of that dark gloomy area of your home. It is the area of your home you most likely dread going to do laundry, store some can goods, or maybe change the filter in your furnace once or twice a year. Open ceilings, exposed electrical wires, hanging insulation, exposed plumbing lines, etc......... Doesn't really sound like a fun place to be in your home.
Just imagine that area of your home remodeled with heat, lighting, and walls and ceilings. It is easily converted into usable living area and will most likely be the biggest room of your home. Most basements are the same square footage as your entire first floor. When you start thinking of remodeling your basement, the ideas become endless. You can go from a standard open floor plan to adding bathrooms, wet bars, bedrooms, closets, sauna room, weight room, kitchen; the ideas become endless.
Five key factors for remodeling your basement:
Substantial amount of added living area.
Added value to your home.
By finishing you basement you eliminate most of the mildew and mold common in unfinished basements. Heat and light create a more mold free atmosphere.
Basements are the perfect area to create a mother/daughter apartment.
Added entertaining area. Basements with an open floor plan create great entertaining areas.
What you should know before your basement conversion:
You are required to maintain a minimum ceiling height of 7 ft from finished floor to finished ceiling.
You are required to maintain a minimum height of 6'-8" measured from finished floor to all beams, girders,ducts or other obstructions.
You will be require to have some form of fire escape from your basement. Exit through a garage is not a legal escape. In some cases you will be required to install a egress window with a minimum net clear opening of 5.7 sq. ft.
Note if your electrical system is up to date and can handle added circuits.
orange county ny,